Teeth grinding is also known as bruxism disorder. It is a state of grinding or clenching one’s teeth, whether consciously or unconsciously. It occurs more frequently in children. Best Dentist In Houston disclosed that more than 30% of kids repeatedly grind their teeth at night while sleeping. Maybe you might have overheard your child’s teeth grinding in the middle of the night. This article will go through some facts about teeth grinding that you should know. Make sure to read this article till the very end, as it will help you in the future.
What are the causes that develop teeth grinding?
Many dentists aren’t sure about the causes of bruxism, even though it could be caused by physical, psychological, and genetic factors.
We have mentioned some causes of teeth grinding, such as:
- Anxiety, stress, rage, annoyance, or tension can all cause bruxism while you’re awake. It could also be a way of coping or a behavior formed during periods of extreme concentration.
- Sleep bruxism teeth grinding occurs during sleep which may require a mouthguard sleeping.
What are the signs that show you are a candidate for teeth grinding?
People aren’t able to identify if they are suffering from the grinding, due to which below we have noted some signs that show you a candidate for teeth grinding, such as:
- Cracked teeth
- tooth fractures due to increased wear of the teeth
- limited mouth opening ability
- muscular stiffness and soreness in the jaw
- headaches caused by discomfort in the jaw joint
- Tenderness in the temporal muscles found on the sides of the head
- a sore ear
- a lack of sleep
How do you stop teeth grinding?
Several ways can help in the prevention of teeth grinding. We have mentioned some common preventive ways below, such as:
- Be more aware of your clenching
- Buy a mouth guard to wear at night.
- Begin working out.
- Before sleeping, calm.
- Stretch the bones in your jaw.
- Stop chewing everything except food.
- Stay away from chewy foods.
What are the types of mouthguards?
A mouth guard for teeth grinding is the most cost-effective and popular treatment recommended by several best dentists. There is much variety of mouthguards available in dentistry, such as:
- Boil-and-bite: Boil-and-bite mouth guards are available in sporting goods stores and pharmacies. An individual warms the guards in lukewarm water and subsequently bites down, molding it into their mouth’s form.
- Custom-made: These are custom-made mouthguards that are the most comfortable a dentist develops them.
- Stock mouthguards are ready-made and ready to use mouth guard;hence they are not satisfied and fit as custom mouthguards.
Can wearing a mouthguard make bruxism worse?
No, due to the unbalance of your teeth, wearing a mouth guard may help you clean your teeth more effectively. However, it can exacerbate teeth grinding because consumers buy mouth guards without consulting their dentist and from internet retailers that offer one size fits all, which increases damage.
We hope you liked this article, and now you have a great piece of knowledge about teeth grinding and mouth guards for its treatment. If you want to know more about teeth grinding or if you are suffering from teeth grinding, it will be a significant step to visit a dentist near me.